Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Review of Val's Charbroiler in Hayward, California since 1958

Val's Charbroiler gets five stars.


Val’s Charbroiler has been dishing up burgers, fries, shakes and steaks since 1958. Walk into Val’s and walk back into the neighborhood diner of yesteryear.


Generations of community sports teams and legends line the walls. A dedicated shake maker hand dips malts and floats. Seafood, salads, sandwiches, steaks and home recipe stew make the menu.  Val’s is famous for their burgers starting at 1/3 up to a plate filling full pound – papa, mama, and baby bear would certainly pass on porridge though you can get that too. 

Made to order, bloody or done, with your choice of fixings, some right on the table so help yourself. 


 The burger has a nice charbroiled crust that once cracked drips with juice. Fries are thick cut and crispy golden waiting for homemade chili. The counter seats a couple dozen if you don’t want the wait for a booth.

 Cheery and efficient servers in soda fountain uniforms. Some who are second generation working at Val's, a real family business.

The only draw back is limited parking and expect a line on weekends and often at lunch on Thursday or Friday.


 Service Tuesday – Saturday, 6:30AM -10 PM and
just like the diner of our grandparents, cash only. 
Val's is truly lunchtime heaven.





2 comments:

  1. Val's is such a great East Bay staple! Growing up in Castro Valley, I went there quite a lot. Glad to see Hayward represented = ) -- Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I arrived In CV starving and just wanted a decent burger and certainly not any of the usual ff selection. Drove around a little and suddenly saw Val's nestled between Center, Kelly and B Streets. It looked like it had been set down there by Dr Who. I was afraid to hope for the best - it was raining, I was tired, I wasn't in the mood! As soon as I walked in the door I knew I'd hit pay dirt! It was jammed full of happy, smiling people eating from plates piled high with honest to goodness American food! The happy, energetic wait staff was charging around corralling the food issuing like race horses from the kitchen and presenting it to the waiting hoards. I'd come in at the wrong end of the joint and a cherubic young man with a country smile directed me to the cash register at the far end. I just wanted to take away an order and I was glad, because there wasn't a seat to be had! From behind the register the wizened, world weary guy with serious brown eyes and a beautiful moustache took my order without cracking a smile, letting me know that the business of burgers was very important. When it was presented to me I grabbed the white, paper bag gave the guy a dollar, which pleased him and went out into the rain to find my way home! I munched on some of the excellent fries as I drove and enjoyed the smell of my precious burger. At home I had to search for it amongst the huge mound of fries and when I took it out of bag, unwrapped it and took a bite I thought I'd gone to heaven! It might be the best burger I've ever eaten! And the fries were the best ever. They even stood up to being reheated the next day! I'm going back! I'm gonna try the patty melt and the onion rings the next time. I've tried to go back on both Sunday and Monday and found they are closed on those two days! So, beware, only go on the other five days of the week. You might even be willing to drive from SF, in the rain, as I did, to eat at Val's. Divine, all American food!

    ReplyDelete